Watch for the dangers of carbon monoxide

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless and nearly odorless gas created by the incomplete burning of solid, liquid, and gaseous fuels. It’s poisonous to people and pets, so be careful. Symptoms of the poisoning are:

• Headache

• Fatigue

• Shortness of breath

• Nausea

• Dizziness

To prevent CO poisoning, take these precautions at work and at home:

• Buy and install a CO alarm. Make sure it meets safety requirements, and follow the directions for proper placement and installation.

• Install appliances properly. Most of them should be installed by a professional.

• Check your appliances. Have your heating system inspected and serviced every year.

• Only burn charcoal outdoors. Never burn it in a tent, home, garage, vehicle, etc.

• Make sure you turn off fuel-burning engine equipment when you are inside a garage or basement. Just having the doors open does not ensure your safety.

• Always follow the manual directions when servicing fuel-burning equipment.

• If you use a fuel-burning appliance that is approved for indoors, make sure it is vented to the outside following the manufacturer’s instructions.

• Install and use exhaust fans over gas stoves.

• Have a professional inspect, clean and tune up your central heating system (furnaces, flues, and chimneys) annually.

Spread the word. Share this post!

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: